South Australia is a key participant in Australia’s development of a National Hydrogen Strategy.
The global market for hydrogen is expected to reach $220 billion by 2022. CSIRO estimates a hydrogen export industry could be worth $1.7 billion and provide 2,800 jobs in Australia by 2030.
In mid-2017, the South Australian Government worked with industry to develop a Hydrogen Roadmap for potential investors and help guide the development of South Australia’s hydrogen economy.
Since releasing the Roadmap, the South Australian government has:
- Attracted the September 2019 International Conference on Hydrogen Safety to Adelaide
- Supported Australian Chief Scientist Dr Alan Finkel’s proposal for the National Hydrogen Strategy, which the COAG Energy Council endorsed in December 2018.
- Sponsored the Future Fuels Cooperative Research Centre
- Sponsored the 2018 CSIRO National Hydrogen Roadmap
- Supported delegations to and from Japan and the Republic of Korea, including participation in Dr Finkel’s delegation to Japan with the National Hydrogen Strategy Group in September 2018
- Started planning offices in Shanghai, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur to support trade and development
- Become an observer to Hydrogen Mobility Australia’s member meetings
- Established a cross-government Hydrogen Regulatory Working Group
- Developed an interactive hydrogen map to help investors and project developers identify potentially suitable sites in South Australia for hydrogen infrastructure.
The Hydrogen Research and Development in South Australia report, led by ITP Thermal and released in November 2018, is an examination of hydrogen R&D capability and opportunities in South Australia.